Sunday, September 20, 2009

A'Court Concert

Years ago, my cousins and I would often gather with our families at my aunt and uncle's house.  My aunt Joyce Poley is a professional singer/songwriter, and it was always special whenever she could be coaxed to bring out her guitar and sing a few songs.


I was reminded of those impromptu concerts last evening at a home concert by Nova Scotia singer/songwriter Charlie A'Court. Charlie sang from his albums:
Bring on the Storm; Color Me Gone; Alone; and Live at the Marigold.

It was fun to sit in a friend's living room and listen to Charlie's tuneful, joyful songs. I love acoustic guitar and Charlie delivered. Charlie's music roams to folk and country places and briefly triggers many sound-sense memories for me - did I hear a John Hammond riff in there?

The concert happened because of the Home Routes organization which exists to bring home concerts with world-class musicians to as many Canadians as possible.

I liked the idea when I heard about it; now I can say that I very much liked the experience as well.

Charlie A'Court is nominated for best Blues Artist/Group Recording and Male Artist Recording at the 2009 Nova Scotia Music Awards for the Live at the Marigold recording, and also for Bell Aliant Entertainer of the Year.

When he wins these awards, I will shamelessly name drop and let everyone know that I was at a small, exclusive home concert with the artist!!!


I would like to invite Charlie A'Court to my soiree.

No comments: