Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Serious Darts

The FIFA World Cup it definitely is not, but the game of darts has a huge following - 7000 in the audience at a recent televised tournament.

My experience with darts is almost entirely from playing in the odd pub many years ago. After a few rounds, someone would invariably decide to challenge everyone to a game, although no one ever seemed to know the rules. Triples are good; doubles too. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you.

There is a World Darts Federation, however, that has everything you always wanted to know about darts. The Federation is the world governing body for the game; there are 250,000 playing members from six continents. There are anti-doping regulations in the game. The very professionally done site has rules, regulations, archives, history, and lists of previous winners and pros.

Every two years, on odd numbered years, they hold the World Cup. Every two years, on even numbered years, are the Americas Cup, The Asia/Pacific Cup, and the Europe Cup (and more!).

A far cry from the pub experiences of my youth, the modern game of darts is professionally run and widely popular. To dart players, it probably is the real beautiful game. And no vuvuzelas!

8 comments:

Judie said...

O.k.. Yes, I am a senior. Several years ago, we went to a resort on the Georgia coast. They had a darts tournament in which I did quite well. It was great fun, and I hope to do it again sometime in the future. One needs to have an open mind in order to do well at darts.

ChrisJ said...

Judie,

It's interesting just how many people enjoy the game.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Unknown said...

When my kids were little we had a dart board and the boys loved playing it. (I had no idea they had a World Cup for this "sport!)

ChrisJ said...

Christi,

It might be fun to watch a darts World Cup. I had no idea either.

I like the new pic/avatar

Anonymous said...

I have been a darts player at various times in my life, your post prompted me to blog about it. I have linked your story of course as giving me the idea.
http://itsnotthecoffin.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-have-faced-wall.html

Thanks

AV

ChrisJ said...

AV,

Thanks. I'm glad the post jogged your memory.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the return visit and follow...

AV

ChrisJ said...

AV,

Most welcome!