Monday, November 9, 2009

Single Malt Excellence

What would a soiree be without a great selection of wonderful Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

Thank goodness for the existence of The Scotch Whisky Association. It defines and controls just what is and is not Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Something of such great beauty in both taste and appearance deserves protection under the law.

 Single Malt Scotch Whisky: a Scotch Whisky distilled at a single distillery (i) from water and malted barley without the addition of any other cereals, and (ii) by batch distillation in pot stills. It is also proposed that Single Malt Scotch Whisky should only be bottled in Scotland.
The SWA also seeks to protect"the traditional regional names associated with Scotch Whisky production, i.e. 'Highland', 'Lowland', 'Speyside', 'Campbeltown' and 'Islay'."

With the exception of Campbeltown, I have tried and enjoyed famous Scotch Whiskies from each of the traditional regions.

From the Highlands, my favourite is Talisker.


There are many other excellent Highland Scotch Whiskies, including
Oban and Dalwhinnie.


My experience of the Lowland and Speyside Scotch  Whiskies is limited.


I have tasted only Glenkinchie from the Lowlands and Cragganmore from Speyside. Both excellent.


I have saved the best for last. For me, Islay Scotch Whisky is the best from all the regions. Bowmore 12-year is a reasonably priced choice. It has all the characteristic flavours of Islay - peat, iodine, seaweed, salt. Ardbeg is awesome.







My most favourite of all time Single Malt Scotch Whisky is Lagavulin.


.




Cheers.










6 comments:

crpitt said...

My little sister lives in the Highlands, so I am familiar with all these :)

My dad is a big fan and has been most of the distilleries to sample them on location.

The town she lives in is home to the Clynelish Distillery. That and the Pulteney one are my dad's favourites at the mo.

ChrisJ said...

Thanks Claire. It would be great fun to do a tour of Scotland generally, and of the distilleries, too.

crpitt said...

Let me know if you ever do, will get my sister to put the kettle on :)

The Highlands in particular are gorgeous and I highly recommend it as a place to vist.

ChrisJ said...

I will indeed! I just discovered Scottish breakfast tea.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.